Friday, October 9, 2009

Halloween Tutorial - Soap Slime!


Last night my nieces came over and I had the perfect project! Ever since I watched this great YouTube video by LactoseOverdose on how to make soap jelly (like Lush), I've been dying to try it. Plus I had a bunch of soap eyeballs that have been staring at me. They needed a home.

This creepy project is super easy and perfect for Halloween. Here's what you'll need:
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 packet powdered gelatin
  • 1/2 cup of liquid soap (I used a liquid soap base since it was unscented and uncolored)
  • liquid colorant
  • fragrance oil
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • cups, jar, or a glass pan
  • soap eyeballs or other creepy objects (optional)


(Click on above photo to enlarge)

Now:
1) Gather your favorite ghouls.

2) Place the gelatin powder in a bowl. Meanwhile, bring the water to a boil. Stir water into gelatin until powder is dissolved. Stir in liquid soap.

3) Add colorant. For green I used 1 drop of turquoise and 4 drops of yellow. Now add a few drops of fragrance oil. The droppers on the kit bottles are so great for kids since they make it easy to control the drops, plus they're really fun!

4) Stir in the salt until dissolved. Put creepy objects into cups or jar and pour in soap (it is lukewarm at this point). Or you can pour soap into a glass pan.

5) Put soap into fridge for several hours or overnight. It's fun to cut it up into cubes and scoop out, which become single use soaps. Or you can use a fork and shred it into wormy noodles and pile up in a bowl. My eyeballs made the bottom of my slime a little white but it adds to it's grossness!

If you like this project or are looking for more soapy Halloween inspiration, check out the Fall issue of Let's Get Soapy! There is glow in the dark soap, soap painting, using juice cans for a mold, and a lot more.

Have fun!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love it!!!!!

Erin Pikor said...

This is such a fun project! I love the mason jars you used! I can imagine this for a kids birthday party as well!

Unknown said...

You just turned the creepiness factor of your eyeball soaps up to 11! ;p

GREAT project!

Brigette said...

Super cool! Can't wait to try this. I just made eyeballs so I have some ready to go. Thanks for another great project!

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

OMG you took the super cool eye ball and made it even cooler!!!

love it!

Sunbasilgarden said...

What a fun night to come over to your house!!! fantastic

Anne-Marie said...

What a fun project. Your kids must love it when you get all soapy creative with projects that totally appeal to the kid in all of us =)

The Lazy Lacquerist said...

Completely nuts and yet totally hilarious too! Love it!

Sudie said...

so gross! we love it! my girls went wild doing this one.

Thanks so much. Best tutorial hands down!

Jennifer said...

I love it. Can't wait to try this with my 5 year old.