Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How to Turn Watermelon into Strawberries

Right now I'm working on a Strawberry Shortcake Loaf Soap tutorial for the Summer issue of Let's Get Soapy. While making the strawberries, I made a little tweak that might help you on your next project.

I'm a huge fan of Bramble Berry's non-bleeding red liquid colorant. It's what I use for my Squeakymelon Soapsicles. It's a great watermelon color. After unmolding my first batch of strawberries using the liquid red, I realized the shade was a bit too pink for a convincing berry.

To make the color a bit richer and deeper, I added one drop of blue ultramarine. Even though my heart stopped for a second as the color went from a very strong purple back to a slightly darker red, it was just what I needed. You can see the before and after berries, above.

I just threw my pink berries back into my cup and remelted them to make new berries. No waste! Gotta love melt and pour!

The Summer issue will be ready next Monday, so make sure you have signed up for the Soapyclub to get your special discount! You will love the full Shortcake project! The sign up box is on the left hand side of the blog, or click here to sign up on the Soapylove site.

7 comments:

Sunset Soaps said...

Great tip, thanks!

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

yes a great tip for sure!

Brigette said...

Thanks for the tip. I can't wait for the new ezine.

Lori Stoia said...

Your soaps look good enough to eat. What a great tip!

Anne-Marie said...

Perfect color for the berries. And the color blending is spot on. Way to use that color wheel =)

Dancing Zebra said...

Hi! Can I pease ask where you got the strawberry mold from? I have been searching for one just like this for months now! thanks :)

Unknown said...

Hi Dancing Zebra!
I actually got the mold on eBay as part of a "lot" of molds someone was reselling. There are usually lots of great shapes available on ebay. Just search "silicone mold strawberry".

Happy hunting!