Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pretzel Day!


Just this past weekend, my family moved to a house in the same nieghborhood my husband and I grew up in - Tierrasanta. We bought our last place before I got pregnant over 4 years ago, and 2 kids later we were still living in our 2-bedroom-with-no-yard-at-all-condo in an eclectic but very un-kid-friendly area. So we are all breathing a huge sigh of relief as we enjoy a real house with a room for each kid and a real yard. It's exciting!

Another HUGE perk of living in Tierrasanta is that I'm now just a few blocks away from my sister, Cheryl. She is always doing something fun! Like yesterday morning her daughter called me and asked if we all wanted to come over and bake pretzels. Um.... YES, we would!

When we got there I was so happy to see my mom was there, too. Cheryl had the dough made already and put it on the table, ready to be cut into pieces and rolled into ropes. Even my youngest loved that and got right into the action. We twisted, knotted, rolled, and made lots of gorgeous pretzels.

Then, like bagels, the dough has to be boiled. It was neat because you have to add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the water, which bubbled way up! After they were all boiled the pretzels were put in the oven and salted.

After they cooled we all started munching. Delicious!Thank you Cheryl, for a really fun and yummy afternoon, and for all of these fabulous photos!!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Debbie, those pretzels look yummy! Any chancing of bribing the recipe from you or your sister? :)

~Nicole

Tammy said...

Im so glad you can do fun stuff like that now. How great-I'm sure your kids are going to love having their cousins so close now. Enjoy your new happy home :)

Anne-Marie said...

Congrats on the house! That is so exciting.

And the pretzels look very good. I've never made them and I'm definitely interested in them now that I've seen your post.

I can imagine all sorts of fun salty/sweet combos (caramel and salt? yum!)

Brigette said...

Congratulations on your new home. The pretzels look yummy!

Anonymous said...

How very cool about your new home back in the old neighborhood and close to your sis!

Ditto what Nicole said about the recipe. :)

FooFooBerry said...

I never even thought of making these and pretzels are my favourite. My sister made bagels once that were divine. Today I'm planning on making these. I too would love the recipe.

Congrats on your new home.