Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Back from Gotham!

Last night I got back from my first trip to New York City since I was 13. Earlier this year I started consulting for a company in New York so I went there to do some work. Even though my family is originally from New York (Yonkers, to be exact), we moved to San Diego when I was only 2, so I'm really a California girl.

Since I'm working on a retail project, a lot of the trip was spent discussing and finding inspiration in successful retail stores. Although I was only there for 1 1/2 days (the rest was flight time), I visited Sabon, Dylan's Candy Bar, Max Brenner, Toys 'R Us, Crumbs, and ate at impressive restaurants such as David Burke Townhouse and Serendipity. Melody (the other consultant working on the project) and I were staying at the Dream Hotel in midtown so the major landmarks such as Rockefeller Center and Times Square were very close by. I got really lucky and met up with a friend who was on a fun NY trip, too.

What did I learn on my trip? LOTS. But mainly I learned that the sky is the limit in New York. To be "over the top" is hard to do among so many incredible shops! But having a very strong point of view and running with it is key to standing out.

I also learned that I am not a big city girl! I was so excited to get back to my quiet suburban house and relax with my family.

I will be going back a couple more times until the project is launched and I really look forward to it. There's nothing like Manhattan!

4 comments:

Donna Maria Coles Johnson said...

Awesome! I'm so happy for you and this gig, plus super happy for your client. A very smart person for hiring you! Have fun and keep sharing the exciting news from your trips! Manhattan is awesome!

Jennifer/La Dolce Diva said...

I LOVE NY! Did you get the frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity?
Glad you had a good time there. So much to look at and be inspired by!
I went to school on West 27th and lived on the Upper West Side for 13 years.
I go back several times a year.
Being raised on the West Coast- I am truly Bi-Coastal. I consider myself a New Yorker and California Girl. Yes...sometimes I am at odds with myself!
Maybe we could meet up in one place or the other sometime.
I will be in New York this December. Can't wait.I have my favorite haunts that I like to hit every time I go. You have inspired me to blog about it too!

Rose said...

Hi Debbie!

Sounds like you had an amazing time...Isn't Max Brenner to die for!?! I can definitely go for chocolate-banana crepes right now :)
and definitely excited about your new opportunity - yay!

Anne-Marie said...

I so love NYC in short doses. It is such a vibrant, alive city with incredible experiences to offer (at all hours of the day!). You certainly made the most of your trip with all you did.