Monday, April 25, 2011

Perfume Bottle Soap inspiration


Mother's Day is just a little over 2 weeks away, and you might be wondering what you should do for the Mom in your life this year.  Flowers?  Candy?  She deserves something unique, made by you, and useful!  I have just the thing: Perfume Bottle Soaps!
In my latest issue of Let's Get Soapy, I show you how to make your very own bottle mold.  There are so many wonderful inspirations for bottle shapes and colors, including this photo from Martha Stewart. The opaque pastels are so beautiful!

For a very feminine version, try making your mold from an ornate perfume bottle.  I did a quick search on Etsy for perfume bottles under "vintage", and found many gorgeous possibilities such as this old Avon Perfume Bottle from ForestDayDream.

When shopping for a bottle (a great excuse to hit up your local thrift store!), avoid bottles that get extremely wide since you will need to push your soap bottle out of the bottom opening of your mold.  Also avoid overly ornate tops like swans since little necks or pieces can break.

This adorable little owl jar from ricracandbuttons has a great shape and its feather texture would show up perfectly!  Another great thing about using perfume bottles is their size is usually just right for a soap - about the size of your hand.

For great places to shop for perfume bottles check antique stores, thrift stores, your local drug store, and of course online.  Etsy has a vast vintage section and there are many treasures to be found.  Plastic works just as well as glass, so you might even find some cute ones in your toddler's dress up box!




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I'm dying to know how to do this...guess I'll be getting your latest issue!! Thanks for keeping me inspired!!

John Petter said...

Great blog! Thanks for posting those.. Aladdin Fragrances

MockingBird said...

So inspiring. I wish I had found this blog earlier! I love it! Thank you, thank you!
moss mills