Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hooray for Hollywood!


So yesterday morning I get a call from a TV show producer. He says that he has a scene he needs to shoot using tangerine popsicles and needs some soapy stand-ins. I said that my soapsicles would be perfect! He needed them to match the real popsicle the actor would be eating, and by the way... he needed them to ship yesterday, too!

No problem - just as long as my kids take naps at the same time and wake up before the post office closes! Miraculously, this did happen. But since I didn't have a chance to buy some real tangerine pops to match the color, I worked off a photo the producer sent me. Just to be sure, as I made the soaps I added more yellow after every 2 soaps I poured so hopefully there would be a good match in there somewhere!

I got them off in the mail just in the nick of time. Phew! This isn't the first time I've made popsicle props, actually. A few weeks ago I made a bunch of cherry ones for a Macy's commercial.

FYI, to achieve a realistic popsicle look that's not too clear and not too opaque, use a liquid colorant that is opaque plus some matching mica. For these tangerines, I used Brambleberry's red mica (that turns orange in m&p) plus Oregon Trail's neon orange and yellow.

5 comments:

Suds to Love said...

That's completely awesome, I guess I never even gave popsicles in commercials a second thought that they are not real!

Bridget said...

They look wonderful! Mine don't nap anymore and my productivity is a direct reflection of that!

Hope these will work out for the segment - keep us posted :) Brie

Anne-Marie said...

Yippee! That is SO cool. =)

Polka Dot Bride said...

these look so delicious!

Armi said...

Wow! Those look good enough to eat! Did you add fragrance too?
You are so talented, Debbie!