Wednesday, April 8, 2009

More on the "Pretty Scary" Note...


If you liked the idea of ghastly gelatin creations as opposed to the pretty ones from my earlier post about the Gelatin Flickr group, you will have to check out this amazing set of old cookbook pages called "Misguided Efforts in Cookery" by Miss Retro Modern.

Not only are the photos nauseating (what is with that greenish tint to all photos from the 60's?), but the comments people have left are just hysterical. I almost died laughing when I read the ones left for "Lamb with Mint Jelly." Words like "barftastic" and "disturbing" are quite common, and well deserved. And what is with that stuffed cabbage? That was a dirty trick!

2 comments:

Kelly Ann Taylor said...

this is too dern funny.

i, do, in fact, remember
the "aspic" food groups.

they never failed to gross
me out.

but then again, i remember
madras fabric

and went to india in the 80's
so, that would unfortunately
date me

my mom made this disgusting
tomato aspic for dinner parties.
i always excused myself from the
table!

lol!

Anne-Marie said...

There was a book that came out with this kind of stuff recently. I'm trying to remember it ... we read it in book club and it had us in stiches!

I dare you to make THAT photo into a bar of soap ...

=)