Monday, October 20, 2008

Fun with Soap Paints!


Day of the Dead Soapsicles, originally uploaded by soapylovedeb.

FYI - these are now available in my Etsy shop. Since each is one of a kind, I will list them singly until each color has been taken.

I tried soap painting quite a while ago, but wasn't happy at all with my results. I gave my set away and hadn't thought about it again since.

But last Friday I was so delighted to get a very special package from my friend Paula - the artist behind PJ Soaps. Inside the box, wrapped in the most beautiful iridescent cellophane, was a complete set of her custom formulated soap paints. She even included the Neon Set! Be still, my heart!! There were paint brushes, tools, and instructions, too. I was SO excited!!

I immediately started brainstorming ideas. Graffiti soaps? Tattoo soaps? Aquarium soaps? So hard to choose! After sleeping on it, I woke up knowing what I wanted to do - sugar skulls for Dia de los Muertos, in soapsicle form, of course!

I made the soapsicles first. Neon colors with a sprinkle of soap glitter, scented with "Hello Sweet Thang" fragrance from Bramble Berry, and handcut skull embeds. Yesterday I spent the day at my in-laws' house for a family gathering and brought my soaps to work on. I got these 3 done. The paints are wonderful to work with. The paint brushes are key. Paula's set includes a few widths, but they're all quite tiny, which is best for this type of paint. I added some soap glitter for a little extra "bling" and let them dry.

Now I have to "glaze" them - seal the surface with a clear coat of soap. I'm so nervous! I don't want the paint to smear! But Paula assured me it should be fine. If I chicken out, I can dust them with arrowroot powder and forget it.

I'll have these listed in my Etsy shop soon. There's also a lime green one I need to paint. So make sure to check in and see! :)

8 comments:

becca.elpy said...

wow, those are incredibly impressive! are you gonna do graffiti soaps? i think they would be cool, too. :)

cakegrl said...

How fabulous! What a great package to receive and what great looking soap pops!! These rock Deb!

Bridget said...

Those are awesome!!

SingingWolf said...

Much awsomeness!

When I saw the picture the first time, I thought you had painted the skulls before embedding them...and wondering how you dared risk melting that wonderful paint job! (not that you'd melt your embeds....)

Anne-Marie said...

These look amazing! Save one of them for me - maybe the yellow limey green one? =)

Suds to Love said...

Very cool looking!

Armi said...

Those soaps are so cool, Debbie! Another awesome artistic creation from your bottomless (or so it seems LOL!) imagination.

Erin Pikor said...

Your painting job on these is amazing! I love them - you are so creative!