Monday, October 20, 2008

Fun with Soap Paints!


Day of the Dead Soapsicles, originally uploaded by soapylovedeb.

FYI - these are now available in my Etsy shop. Since each is one of a kind, I will list them singly until each color has been taken.

I tried soap painting quite a while ago, but wasn't happy at all with my results. I gave my set away and hadn't thought about it again since.

But last Friday I was so delighted to get a very special package from my friend Paula - the artist behind PJ Soaps. Inside the box, wrapped in the most beautiful iridescent cellophane, was a complete set of her custom formulated soap paints. She even included the Neon Set! Be still, my heart!! There were paint brushes, tools, and instructions, too. I was SO excited!!

I immediately started brainstorming ideas. Graffiti soaps? Tattoo soaps? Aquarium soaps? So hard to choose! After sleeping on it, I woke up knowing what I wanted to do - sugar skulls for Dia de los Muertos, in soapsicle form, of course!

I made the soapsicles first. Neon colors with a sprinkle of soap glitter, scented with "Hello Sweet Thang" fragrance from Bramble Berry, and handcut skull embeds. Yesterday I spent the day at my in-laws' house for a family gathering and brought my soaps to work on. I got these 3 done. The paints are wonderful to work with. The paint brushes are key. Paula's set includes a few widths, but they're all quite tiny, which is best for this type of paint. I added some soap glitter for a little extra "bling" and let them dry.

Now I have to "glaze" them - seal the surface with a clear coat of soap. I'm so nervous! I don't want the paint to smear! But Paula assured me it should be fine. If I chicken out, I can dust them with arrowroot powder and forget it.

I'll have these listed in my Etsy shop soon. There's also a lime green one I need to paint. So make sure to check in and see! :)

Post a Comment