Thursday, February 26, 2009

Acupuncture for the Squeamish

I'm phobic of needles. Well, at least I was before my Cesarian Section and now I'm pretty tough. But ever since I was a kid and had to get a series of 5 shots in one day to get into kindergarten, I have been terrified of any kind of injection or - god forbid - getting my blood drawn.

So it's ironic that I'm married to an acupuncturist. If I wasn't, there's no way I would have ever tried it. But my husband, Jim Chialtas, is amazing and has helped me with health issues including Irritable Bowel Syndrome, PMS, depression, and he even made our daughter flip into the proper position when she was still in the womb!

Traditional Chinese medicine is thousands of years old. Unlike many western treatments that keep changing every couple of years, acupuncture has been fine tuned and is extremely effective for so many maladies, including elusive problems like migraines and infertility.

But, still. It involves having needles - many of them - stuck into you. That may sound scarey but actually it's not. In fact, most acupuncture treatments are extremely relaxing. The needles are super thin, unlike hypodermic needles which are actually sharp tubes. You could fit an acupuncture needle into a hypodermic syringe!

If you're squeamish, no amount of describing or reassuring would convince you to try it. So one of Jim's patients, who started SingleDad.com, created a video of a typical acupuncture appointment. You will see Jim's clinic room (typical of most modern clinics), and the process of receiving a treatment. Check it out here on Youtube.

If you have had acupuncture or haven't but checked out the video, please leave a comment here. I'd love to hear what you think! Thanks!
Post a Comment