Friday, January 2, 2009

Looking Back and Moving Forward

2008 was a very intense year for me.

First, it was my debut year as a WAHM. I pride myself on being very independent and the transition to being home and at my 2 kids' service was pretty hard to get used to. Also, I had a baby girl in October of 2007, so 2008 was all about raising her and learning how to keep my 3 year old son occupied at the same time. Since I struggle with PPD (post-partum depression), trying to stay level-headed through newborn trials and toddler tribulations was challenging beyond belief.

Business-wise, the year started out extremely promising. I got a call from one of my buyers saying that O Magazine wanted to include my soaps in the July issue. I overnighted the photographer dozens of soaps, and over the next few months I got emails from the associate editor saying, "you're going to have a full page feature!" and "I hope you understand what this will mean for your business!" and "the beauty editor wants to call you personally to make sure you are ready for the impact of this feature!" My husband and I were planning on borrowing against our house to open a workshop and start production. Literally the minute I walked in the house after choosing a location, I checked my email quickly before calling the landlord and read, "we are so sorry - but your feature has been dropped. This is highly unusual and we're so sorry."

It was like someone died. I grieved for weeks. That sounds melodramatic now, but it was devastating.

The last half of the year was dominated by legal junk. Trademarks, copyrights, cease and desist letters, lawyers... ugh! It was no party. Things have calmed down now, but - yuck.

I think about it now and I chalk it up to "taking my lumps." It was my first year truly committing myself to Soapylove and I learned A LOT. My skin is much thicker when it comes to press opportunities, and I learned a lot about the law, too (I'm a bit cynical but I think that's healthy). Now that my daughter is 14 months old, I'm feeling much more like myself, too.

With 2009 here, I'm very optimistic. "Let's Get Soapy" is much more successful and well received than I expected, I have some exciting developments to announce soon, and my book will finally be published in the fall! I'll be teaching some more and doing some travelling. Things are looking really good.

Thanks for reading my post and for your support of Soapylove. I feel like I am truly following my passion and your participation makes it possible.

Have a fabulous New Year!

Big love,
Debbie

9 comments:

Shelley Ann Jones said...

Hi, I haven't talked about my struggle with PPD, but it is so nice to see someone talk so openly about it. I was diagnosed a few months after the twins were born, thought I got better, then hit rock bottom again. Now better, looking forward and thankful for each day.

You had quite a year... I can definitely understand the mourning from the O Magazine spot, that would be disappointing beyond belief. The legal issues that confronted you this year were as you said just yucky. I hope that those issues are settled.

Debbie, your creativity and spirit are amazing. I just read "Let's Get Soapy" and LOVE it! Many "ahah" moments and that is how you do that! I have only done basics with M&P, as to this point I have only really experimented with CP.

Let's make 2009 great!

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I am delighted at all of the wonderful things you are doing. I remember dealing with some post partum issues -- mine were compounded because my husband had some too. (Yes, men can get it too!) It was really rough and I want to encourage you. My kids are now 5 and 7 and working at home is the best choice I think I could have made for all of us. It's challenges and still exhausting, but it's also very gratifying. It's clear that you have not let the challenges in your life slow you down -- new magazine, new products, press inquiries. One day soon, O will be kicking herself for not featuring you before one of her competitors. We never know what may happen, but whatever it is for you, it all looks good. Keep up the fantastic work as a wife, mom and Indie Business owner. I'm rooting for you in 2009 and always!

Anne-Marie said...

It is always interesting to read the "story behind the story." Since everyone's tendency, including mine, is to put our best foot forward, it's easy to forget that there are always personal lives behind every successful business.

It's brave of you to share. It adds a wonderful human element to your fun and polished brand.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Shelley, Donna Maria, and Anne-Marie! I really feel that I have so many wonderful, good friends online. Even though I have not personally met some of you, I feel like I know you very well.

I really appreciate your encouragement. You've all been there for me this past year and you can count on me when you need a hand or an ear as well!

Love,
Debbie

Tammy said...

Debbie , although I have only known you a short while. I have such admiration for you. You have done what many WAHM's dream of.
Many people ask me how I do it with a 22 month old and 2 other kids, I do it because I love it. Your love shows through your products and your wonderful spirt in life.
You have been one of my blessings this past year.
I wish you the best this coming year, free of the life trials just joy and accomplishment.
Happy 2009. You'll read about you on the 5th. :)
Tammy

Lori at The Nova Studio said...

wow - you've had quite a year! i think it's easy to dwell for a very long time on our defeats or instead we can choose to consider them life lessons and continue moving forward with what we do best. you are a wonderful example of that. i'm looking forward to seeing you in a few months for another class or two at the nova studio. keep sharing your experiences, as i'm certain you are helping many other people know that they are not alone in life's ups and downs. much soapy love ~lori nova

Armi said...

Happy New Year to you and your family, Debbie! Hope that this year is better and a more positive one for you.

Thank you for sharing your experiences this past year with us. You make me admire you even more, LOL!

Your loyal fan,
Armi :)

Lisa @ Serah's said...

Hey Debbie! This post was so refreshing to see another business owner open up on their blog. I didn't realize that you have only been doing Soapylove for a short period of time. You're such an expert and one of the people I look up to.

2009 is going to be a great year for you! With your creativity, there are no limits.

Anonymous said...

Wow,you have had quite a year all right. You have to know that there are so many of us in awe of your creative talents. Now we know a little more about how much work you put into your soaps. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a fabulous and less-stressful 2009!