Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Need Your Input About Soap Melters!

Original photo from Pop38/ on Flickr.

I'm working on a little side project and need to source several soap melters. The problem is that I have never used one and there are so many options on the market! The prices vary so much and so do the features. Here are the criteria for the melters I need (which are probably what every soap maker wants):

Appropriate for melt and pour soap (uncolored and unscented).
Safe and reliable.
Holds an even temperature.
At least 10 gallon capacity (I think, although I'm open to other sizes)

Since I'm still new to this type of thing I'm sure there are other features that are important but I have no idea! Please comment here and educate me. Have you ever used one? What company was it from? What did you like or dislike about it? How much did it cost? What other things should I know?

Thanks so much!

3 comments:

soap bartender said...

We use the SW10 Water Jacket Melter from Soapmelters for our body balms and we love it! Very high quality. We ordered a melter from Soap Equipment first but it was of inferior quality in our opinion. We don't have the heated spigot for the SW10, and it's worked out OK for us because once we get the balm flowing we pour everything at once so it doesn't have time to cool off and get clogged. You might want to invest in the heated spigot though if you go with this model. You can add a heated filler hose too if you need that. Good luck!

http://www.soapmelters.com/SW-10-Soap-Mixture-Water-Jacket-Melter-p/sw10.htm

Jennifer T. said...

Hi Debbie,

I don't work much with glycerin soap much, but I have some friends that use those Electric Turkey roasters (believe the brand is Nesco) for their M&P soap businesses.

Jennifer

PS I got the notice from Amazon last night that your book will be coming out on September 1st instead of the end of September. Can't wait to get it in the mail!

AAngels Heavenly Sense said...

Hello,
I left a message about what I use on your Melt & Pour at Indie.
I use a presto pot for melting all my candle wax. I am sure it can be used for soap too. You can adjust the temperature on it and the best part is you can make it yourself or have hubby do it or you can buy one already done.
You can get these presto pots at Walmart, Target or Amazon.

Hope this helps somewhat!